A Chance to Leave the Self-Pub World…what to do?!




That’s right, I have an opportunity to float on over to the traditional publishing world! Well, two opportunities actually- in the last few weeks, I’ve had TWO offers from two very different indie publishers. It should be a dream come true, right? Right?! How could I even be considering turning them both down?


So many things to think about here.

First of all, one of the publishers is e-book only. BUT, I’d get to keep the print rights- so technically, I’d still be self-published with the paperback version. I don’t know how I feel about that though- they wouldn’t be linked on Amazon. Different edits, different covers…it’d be like having two completely different books out there…

Not to mention, I LOVE my current cover. And then there’s the reviews to think about…I cherish each and every review I’ve received on Amazon and Goodreads. If I take the book down and sign a contract with a publisher, I lose all of those kind words that are sooo dear to me!

While I’m rambling, let’s go ahead and throw in the bizarre moral obligation I feel to the wonderful self-pub world. A strange guilt has washed over me at the mere thought of abandoning my proud post as ALYSHA KAYE, SELF-PUBLISHED AUTHOR.

There’s also the inevitable feeling of, “What if an even BETTER offer comes along, and I just need to wait it out?”

It’s a tough call to say the least. I wish I had a year to think it over, but I’ll be making a decision before this month is over I’m sure. Wish me luck!

And check out THE WAITING ROOM while it’s still in it’s lovely original format 😉

22 responses »

  1. Alysha, I was writing an email to you and this post came through. You seemed so distressed about it I wanted to give a quick thought I had.

    Are you planning another book? If so, going with a traditional publisher on the second might be an option you’re more comfortable with. Then you could have a taste of both worlds without upsetting the one you’ve already established.

    I don’t know what I’d do if I were in your situation. It’s probably best to follow your conscience and do what you feel is best for you. I assume (with the lack of experience I have) that going with a traditional publisher doesn’t mean you’d have to abandon relationships you’ve already established. Could you save the reviews you have and make them public elsewhere? On a page dedicated to the “History of the Book”?

    I’m sure you’ll get lots of helpful points of view on your dilemma and I hope you’ll be able to make a decision you’re comfortable with.

  2. While reading this, I had this thought: Going through self-pub has made her more reachable. She gets a slow, steady start, and gets to connect with every single reader. And form a relationships.”

    I know I don’t know much about both routes of publishing, but a greater love seems to go into self-published work. It’s you putting your heart out, instead of handing it over for someone to tear apart, ask you to change.

    Then I thought: what if her book gets distributed to different countries through one of these opportunities? I bought your ACTUAL book last night, by the way 😉 SO EXCITED!

    You can always vent/freak out to me if you need to 🙂

  3. Cool that you have choices, but the publishing world (traditional or independent) certainly remians confusing. I look forward to learning from your progress. Thanks for following WordSisters.

  4. What is the track record of the publisher? If they have nothing to back their offer and no history of success, then there is no difference between what you have already done and what they “could” do for you. It seems you’ve put some work into promoting this book. Would they offer some promotion that is an advantage over what you are already doing? These are my thoughts. Good luck, but be careful.

  5. That’s a tough choice. I’m not sure how I would feel about all those reviews disappearing forever…but on the other hand, would taking this path bring even more people to read and review your book? Maybe you should make a list of the pros and cons for both options and compare them…
    But whatever you decide, it’s great so many people love your book, and now, you’re even getting offers! Congrats!

  6. First of all, one of the publishers is e-book only

    Total waste of time. I’ve gotten some of these. Delete them immediately.

    WRT the other indie, if they are VERY high status—like Melville House high status—then yes. If not, no.

  7. I have not read your book, as I just discovered this blog, but I think above all else, you must follow what you believe is the right move for you. Whether or not another offer comes along, the world is full of chances and is also what you make of it. If you do not wish to take down the book that you already have up and lose all of those comments, then perhaps you could renegotiate with the offers you have received? You could also do the mind-numbing task of copying all of those comments and reviews to have for later. Your book sounds interesting, and I would love to get the chance to review it. I wish you the best of luck!!

  8. Pingback: I THINK I’ve made a publishing decision… | Alysha Kaye

  9. This is the right website for anybody who really wants to understand this topic.
    You understand so much its almost tough to argue
    with you (not that I actually would want to…HaHa).
    You definitely put a brand new spin on a subject which has
    been discussed for a long time. Excellent stuff, just wonderful!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s